A Binary SMS message is a type of short message service (SMS) message that is encoded in a binary format rather than using the standard 7-bit ASCII text encoding. Binary SMS messages are typically used to send non-textual data, such as images, audio files, or other types of binary content, over SMS.
One of the main attributes of a Binary SMS message is its payload, which is the actual data being transmitted. The payload of a Binary SMS message can be up to 140 bytes in size, depending on the encoding scheme being used. In addition to the payload, Binary SMS messages also have several other attributes that are used to identify the sender and recipient of the message, as well as to control how the message is handled by the SMSC (Short Message Service Center) and other messaging systems.
Some of the key attributes of a Binary SMS message include:
- Destination address: This is the phone number or other address of the recipient of the message.
- Source address: This is the phone number or other address of the sender of the message.
- Protocol identifier (PID): This is a code that specifies the protocol being used to transmit the message.
- Data coding scheme (DCS): This is a code that specifies the encoding scheme being used for the message payload.
- User data header (UDH): This is a field that can be used to include additional information about the message, such as the length of the message or the number of parts in a multi-part message.
Binary SMS messages are used in a variety of applications, including the following:
- Multimedia messaging: Binary SMS messages are often used to send multimedia content, such as images or audio files, over SMS. This can be useful for applications such as photo sharing or voice messaging.
- Data transfer: Binary SMS messages can be used to transfer data between devices or systems, such as transferring a file from a computer to a mobile phone.
- Application control: Binary SMS messages can be used to control applications or devices remotely, such as issuing commands to a remote device or triggering an event in an application.
- Alerts and notifications: Binary SMS messages can be used to send alerts or notifications, such as weather alerts or emergency notifications.
Overall, Binary SMS messages are a useful tool for transmitting non-textual data over SMS and are used in a variety of applications and industries. They offer a convenient and reliable way to send and receive data, and they can be used in both simple and complex messaging systems.